A cough is your body trying to remove foreign substances and mucus out of the throat or lungs. It is a common symptom of the cold. These coughs often last 2-3 weeks, anything longer than that could mean a chronic cough.
A cough can be really annoying accompanied by coughing up yellow mucus, but most importantly it can be painful. I will suggest some natural cough syrups in a later article, but for now I’d like to share some home cough remedies. You can do these things on your own and and relief your cough, so you can stay relaxed.
Homemade Cough Syrup
- Organic Honey
- 2″ from Ginger Root
- Basket Strainer
- A grater (optional)
- Some Warm Water (about 1/2 oz)
- Peel the skin of off the ginger root.
- Grate the ginger root.
- Squeeze the ginger root through a basket strainer into any kind of container / cup.
- What you’re left with is the ginger juice.
- Take 1 teaspoon of honey, pour it into the ginger juice. Stir everything together. You can use a toothpick for this.
- Poor some hot or warm water into the mixture so the honey blends in better. Mix it together.
- That’s it! You have made cough syrup that is highly effective. You should have about a shot glass full of solution. Don’t drink the whole thing! Drink half of it in the morning and the other half at night.
It’s very easy to make and it’s highly effective. My cough went away in about 30 minutes. But it could take about 30 min to a couple of hours. But this homemade cough syrup really works.
Gargle Salt and Water
One of the best ways to get rid of the cough is to gargle salt and water. I prefer sea salt, but table salt will do as well. Add a few teaspoons on salt to warm water. Mix it up until the salt is completely dissolved. Taste it to see, it should be really salty, then spit it out, don’t swallow. If it’s salty and mixed up, you’re good to go. Go gargle this solution for 30 seconds then spit it out. Repeat 4-5 times. Do this twice a day. You should start feeling the results immediately. This will help with a sore throat as well.
Natural Cough Syrup
Extract juice from a few onions. Mix it with honey. It will make a good natural cough syrup. Take this solution 2-3 times a day.